Thursday, October 3, 2013

Thoughts on Thursdays: The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas


Title: The Burning Sky

Author: Sherry Thomas

Book #: 1st of Trilogy



Publisher: 


Publish Date: 

Pages: 

Format: Hardcover


Date Read

Rating
  / out of 5



 Thoughts:

I liked this one, but not as much as I had hoped to. I am still currently torn on rating it closer to three stars. I have class in ten minutes, though, so I'm just going to throw out some basic thoughts on this and go into more detail later!

What I liked

• Mages and magic: I love anything that has to do with both of these things, especially due to my recent (over) obsession with Skyrim.

• Elemental powers: Of all the super powers, elemental ones are my favorite. I really want to get into the Avatar series, which is a perfect example of these kinds of powers.

• Smart love interest: I don't know if I can honestly say this about our heroine, but I really liked how on top of it all Titus was.

What I did not like

• Insta-love: Yes. I think it was. Iola, in my opinion, was fawning over Titus too much for my taste.

• "You are the chosen one": As much as I like being the "chosen one" in Skyrim, I have to admit that I am getting tired of it in YA literature. I'm tired of seeing things get resolved because that girl was destined to win, because she just happens to be the solution to every problem.

Overall, I think this book is still promising, and I am looking forward to reading the sequel when it comes out.

Discussion Questions:

1. What do you think of the romance in the beginning, insta love or not insta love?

2. What did you think of Iola being "the chosen one"?

No comments:

Post a Comment