Sunday, September 29, 2013

[DNF: September] The Magnolia League by Katie Crouch



Title: The Magnolia League

Author: Katie Crouch

Book #: 1st of Series



Publisher: 
Poppy

Publish Date: May 3rd 2011

Pages: 348

Format: Hardcover


Date ReadSeptember 21st 2013

Rating
½  / out of 5



Summary:

When her free-spirited mother dies in a tragic accident, sixteen-year-old Alexandria Lee is forced to leave her West Coast home and move in with a wealthy grandmother she's never known in Savannah, Georgia. By birth, Alex is a rightful if unwilling member of the Magnolia League-Savannah's long-standing debutante society. But white gloves and silk gowns are a far cry from the vintage t-shirts and torn jeans shorts she's used to.

Alex is the first in decades to question the Magnolia League's intentions, yet even she becomes entangled in their seductive world. The members enjoy youth, beauty and power...but at what cost? As Alex discovers a pact between the Magnolias and the Buzzards, a legendary hoodoo family, she discovers secrets-some deadly-hidden beneath the glossy Southern veneer.
(Synopsis taken from Goodreads)

Review

I just didn't care for the story or any of the characters. 

Though there are parts of Alex, the MC, that I can see myself liking:
"Wanna go swim in Madison's pool? Tan a little?"
"Sorry, I'm not really into skin cancer.
"
Her snarky-ness, for example. Overall, I just wasn't interested. She's been through a lot with the death of her mom and the total removal from the only life she's known, but I still just didn't connect. I am not going to try to understand how much I know about drugs, because besides the fact that they are illegal and are damaging, I really don't know the entire side of them. Alex openly uses drugs and while she makes it seem like it's no big deal- and maybe it is- I just didn't relate at all. It was her life choice, and I can respect that, but I didn't care for it, either.

The rest of the side characters are completely annoying. I hated every last one of them:
"Good Lord almighty, Mary, she is sixteen years old. She doesn't know what she wants." - Alex's Grandmother

.. but then Reggie looked at me really strangely and leaned over and put his tongue in my mouth.Ooh, so romantic.

"...you aren't going dressed like that. It's disrespectful to God and yourself and us and the whole concept of clothing." - Madison, the "friend"

Not even the story, which if anything, I kind of wanted to know more about, could redeem this story for me. I did not care for any of the characters.

Overall, I honestly don't think I would even recommend this.


On My Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/683447837

No comments:

Post a Comment