Sunday, August 11, 2013

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang


Title: What's Left of Me

Author: Kat Zhang

Book #: 1st of Trilogy


Publisher: Harper Collins

Publish Date: September 18th 2012

Pages: 343

Format: Hardcover


Date Read: August 2nd 2013

Rating: ★ / out of 5




<We can't give up.>
<No> Addie said. <No, we won't.>
Keep hope.
Keep hope.

Summary:

I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.
(Synopsis taken from Goodreads)

Review:

I was really hesitant about reading this book at first. I didn't think I would be able to handle the emotional battle of having two souls fighting for control of one body and the fact that they might have two different love interests and yet.. well, one body. 

That's pretty much why I didn't want to read this book.

However, with all these sequels coming out soon, I decided to go through and read some first-in-series books that I had originally decided I didn't want to read. That way, if I did end up liking it, I could get the second book when it came out in the next few months instead of having to wait a year.

__________

After reading this book, my perspective on life really changed. This book emphasizes how important it is to never give up and to fight back no matter what, as long as you are fighting for a better future.

The author does a great job of creating Eva and Addie with two completely different personalities. I didn't really care for Addie. She seemed stuck-up and a little weak, but she does have more to lose than Eva does. I did end up appreciating her in the end, though. She gives up a lot for Eva because she knows she would hate to see her disappear. 

Eva was by far my favorite character. She is very strong willed and goal-oriented. When she learned that there was a way she might be able to move again- she went for it. When they were institutionalized- she fought for a way out. 

The world building, however, is a bit shady. I don't know if I would call it "info-dumping", but we get chunks of information all at once and most of it didn't make sense to me as I tried to process it and it just didn't stick. I am hoping that we find out more about the world in the second book.

The romance was also my favorite part. It wasn't a battle between Eva and Addie and their two love interests. Addie doesn't really take on a romance in this novel, and I kinda hope it stays that way. In face, she tries to stay in the background while Eva and Ryan's relationship blooms and I am grateful for that. I am not sure where the romance will go in the next book, but I am hoping it stays along the same lines.

And, finally, the science fiction aspect of this book was great! There is a lot of government corruption in the medical industry that I am dying to see expand in the sequel.

Overall, this book definitely surprised me and I would recommend giving it a shot!

Quotes:

I wanted life too badly. I refused to let go. I didn't completely fade away.

I was trapped in a dead prison of skin and bones, shackled to limbs I couldn't control.

To keep fighting, no matter the cost. 

<Get though it as best we can> Addie said.
<As best we can.>

What mattered was that it didn't matter. Because our government lied. Because our president lied. Because our teachers lied. Or didn't even know the truth of what they doled out in class, of what marched across their blackboards, lay bound in their textbooks.


On My Goodreads:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/479671367

No comments:

Post a Comment